Logo : R4R Regions For Recycling

Innovative collection system for residual waste in Chianti

Starting from January 2013 in the Municipalities of Greve in Chianti, San Casciano in Val di Pesa and Tavarnelle Val di Pesa a new collection system for the residual waste will be introduced.

The waste utility, Quadrifoglio, decided to extend to this area an innovative collection system, with the installation of new bins that have some important news (see picture below):

  • the lid of the bins for the residual waste are equipped with a cup opened using a personalized electronic memory stick;
  • the glass will be collected separately and not together with the multi-material.
These changes will increase the quality of separate collection of household waste, encouraging people to behave more consciously and reducing the possibility of throwing waste without first making a proper separation.

The new collection system will be tested, starting from January 2013, in some areas and, based on the results of the testing phase, it will be gradually extended to the whole territory. The testing phase will involve:

  • in the Municipality of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, 363 users at Sambuca (330 households and 33 non domestic users) and 1.936 users in the center (1.742 households and 194 non domestic users);
  • in the Municipality of San Casciano in Val di Pesa 3.009 users in the center (2.599 households and 410 non domestic users);
  • in the Municipality of Greve in Chianti 2.233 users in the center (1.660 households and 573 non domestic users).

On the whole the testing phase will involve over 7.500 users. Thanks to the implementation of the new collection system, Quadrifoglio foresees to reduce of 10% the total municipal waste generation and to increase the rate of waste separate collection over 65% in all the municipalities, reaching even 75% in the Municipality of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa.

This project is part of the ongoing actions of the Waste Less Chianti project, which aims to contribute to the success of the European and National policies on waste prevention and sustainable consumption through the implementation and monitoring of an integrated waste prevention and reduction program in a significant and internationally known territory as Chianti. 

Back to News

Intereg IVC European Union
site last updated 09 December 2016
another website by cwndesign